Sunday, November 30, 2008

New York, Los Angeles, and the Metro Red Line (Oh My)



I just had the opportunity to spend a week in New York, and of course, having taken it (since it was on my dime) I realized that obviously the transit system in the city is much more advanced. Such a given. But I must also admit that having taken the Red Line from NOHO to Union Station and some other combination involving the Orange, Gold, or Blue Lines had equipped me with a confidence not displayed on prior trips to New York before. There were a ton of detours on the subways, depending on where I was headed, but thanks to some careful listening and utilization of the station maps, I was able to get home - without directions, without asking for help... without looking like an outsider so much. I believe the quality that will have you respected in this town is if you at least look like where you're headed (even if you've no damned clue). Confidence, no matter the concentration percentage, tends to go a long, long way - whether in NY or LA, plain and simple.

It's been swell, being back.

However, I am going to miss the L train, running pretty much every five seconds alongside Bedford Avenue. Okay, five minutes - still not bad!

Map of NY subway system
Map of Los Angeles' subway system

Although I must say that it is rather impressive that Metro is doing a trial run of the Red Line until 3am, Fridays and Saturdays through December 27th. All the better to sober up the individual as they make it home from the bar or club. Absolutely, positively smart.


Photo via Metro.net

No comments: